Friday, April 10, 2015

The Amazing Project Domus

Domus Project – Wood-carved ceiling

Werner Marestra got the idea to create a replica of a noble Genoese house of the late 18th century, and the Domus Project was born. It is built in 1:50 scale (approx. 1/4” scale), but is not really a dollhouse. It is an architectural model, built of real materials or their surrogates. More unusual for a model, Werner's construction methods are those used by medieval craftsmen.

 Domus Project – Wood-carved ceiling detail

After Werner spent months of research and study, the work began in early July of 2009, at is home in Granada, Spain. “It's a little 'far from the city of origin,” he says. “But in the end, even Columbus came here to ask for the ships to sail to India.”

Like Topsy, the domus is constantly growing and changing. What began as a single house with a 1 X 1.3' footprint, now includes a tower over the main house and smaller out-buildings. 

Domus Project – Wood-carved ceiling detail

Werner has no construction training. The art school l he attend required basic classes in architecture and design, but he did not attend college, working professionally as an illustrator and cartoonist. With a superficial knowledge in medieval building, his “expertise” comes the
Internet and books. 
I am not an industry expert ,” Werner says, “and it is more than likely that some aspects of my work are not 100% reliable. But I always try to document properly, and then learn along the way.”

As Werner uses authentic materials as much as possible, where does he find them in modern-day Granada? “All Over. On the street, in the countryside, in the rivers, on the beach,” he says. “A good part comes from waste or found objects I can reuse. The rest -- adhesives, accessories, tools – I purchase in DIY or hardware stores.

 Domus Project  - Angry nobleman ready to cry, after he cans the contractor?

When asked why he chose to devote some much of his life to creating a replica on a Genoese mansion? “Because there is not a single building throughout Genoa that has retained its original appearance, and those that remain are in poor condition. I always had the curiosity about what they looked like at the time of their construction. Besides,it's a way to vent my creativity and to keep my brain busy, The work prevents me from wasting time with trivial arguments about politics, television, sports and religion.”

Here are 2 useful links. The Project Domus Facebook page has a wonderful gallery of photographs: 


Werner Marestra's blog is a goldmine of information. Click on any image.

Enjoy.

Susan

5 comments:

  1. This surely is Dedication to your art! I am impressed that he uses found materials whenever he can; the results look Beautiful!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to use the picture at the top in a post about ceilings! Glad I looked further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Es un trabajo increĆ­ble. Gracias por el enlace

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your delicate minuteatures work. Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the following from Werner:
    Many thanks for your post! Happy to see that someone out there appreciates my efforts I'm translating (very slowly) more posts to english on my blog, although I think pictures are clear enough to understand all the process. I liked your page, so I'll keep up-to-date about your posts.
    Ciao e grazie!

    ReplyDelete